Jim Clancy is the president of Branscomb Law. His practice focuses on complex commercial litigation. He also handles selected matters defending the firm’s clients in personal injury lawsuits. His experience includes million dollar verdicts for his clients and numerous significant settlements and dismissals. Jim’s greatest professional satisfaction is serving as a trusted advisor.
A West Point graduate, Jim is a former Armored Cavalry Captain. He served with the 1st Cavalry Division in Operation Desert Storm.
B.S., U.S. Military Academy, 1986 — Highest Honors
J.D., University of Texas, 1995 — Associate Editor, The Review of Litigation
Board Certified, Civil Trial Law, Texas Board of Legal Specialization
• Pursued claims against a downstream energy company for theft of trade secrets, violation of noncompete agreements using advanced forensic computer tools.
• Pursued claims for unpaid change orders in arbitration of dispute involving a new heat recovery steam generation system in a legacy power plant, with unique contract terms.
• Pursued claims for unpaid oil and gas production in complex oil and gas dispute, stemming from disputed renewal clause and , two decades of contested litigation in multiple matters.
• Defended property damage and business interruption claim as a result of refinery fire.
• Defended major industrial contractor for claims of wrongful death in federal district court.
• Defended engineering defect claims in design and construction of a new recycling plant.
• Defended major oil company from claims by dozens of contractors allegedly injured during evacuation of plant after refinery explosion.
• Obtained jury verdict for fraud, conversion, and quantum meruit in favor of geologist.
• Obtained breach of fiduciary duty verdict for charitable foundation against accountant and former trustee for misuse of trust funds.
AV rated, peer-reviewed, Martindale-Hubbell
Listed in The Best Lawyers in America for Commercial Litigation
Thompson Reuters’ Texas Super Lawyers 2012-2019
Thompson Reuters’ Top 100: 2014 Houston Super Lawyers
For years, Jim coached youth baseball and he still has strong opinions on teaching hitting and smart defense. He was also an avid golfer, whose attempt to find it in the dirt was blocked by a bum left shoulder. Now, his Saturday mornings are spent on a bike searching for speed and trying not to get dropped.