Kara A. Batey
Kara Batey is a Member of the firm’s Real Estate and Water and Oil, Gas and Energy Groups. She focuses her practice on commercial real estate, water, and oil and gas transactional matters. During the first few years of her career, Kara exclusively practiced in the area of oil and gas title examination and transactions, representing both operators and landowners. This foundation, particularly with respect to resolution of complicated title issues, has proven helpful on many occasions as she has expanded her practice to encompass real estate and water law.
In her real estate practice, Kara currently represents buyers, sellers, and developers in all aspects of the acquisition, financing, sale and development of real estate and water resources. In her oil and gas practice, she now primarily represents landowners in the negotiation of all types of agreements affecting the surface and mineral estates, including oil and gas leases, easements, and surface use agreements. In addition, Kara often works with the Business Group in connection with both real estate issues and the negotiation of master service agreements governing the relationship between our clients and their customers.
B.A., Louisiana State University in Baton Rouge, 2001
J.D., Louisiana State University in Baton Rouge, 2005
Bachelor of Civil Law, Louisiana State University in Baton Rouge, 2005
- Represented seller in simultaneous, contingent sale of two operating manufactured home parks
- Represented buyer in acquisition of operating RV park and adjacent acreage intended for future development
- Represented developer in the negotiation of a development agreement under Section 212.172 of the Local Government Code
- Represented developer in dispute with school board regarding easement terms
- Represented buyer in transfer of surface water rights with TCEQ on multiple occasions
- Represented title company in the preparation of groundwater rights title opinion
- Represented subsidiary of Fortune 500 company as interim contracts counsel during in-house counsel’s planned leave
- Represented oilfield service providers on many occasions in connection with payment disputes and filing mineral liens to secure rights against operators
- Board Certified, Oil, Gas and Mineral Law, Texas Board of Legal Specialization, since 2012
- Texas Super Lawyers, Rising Star, 2012, 2014-2019
- Member, Austin Young Lawyers Association
- Member, Travis County Women Lawyers’ Association
Kara lives in Austin. She is a yoga enthusiast and has received her RYT 200 certification. She also enjoys cooking and trying out new restaurants (not necessarily in that order).